Fresh is always best when it comes to cooking and this light and hearty pasta recipe- combining Truss tomatoes, eggplant, olives, basil and ricotta is definitely a winner in our home.
With just a few basic ingredients, you can create a delicious dish that is easy to prepare and just as simple to make. We used Casarecce pasta, but any type of pasta will work.
- 1 x kilo ripe truss tomatoes, blended into a sauce
- 1 x black eggplant, chopped into rustic size pieces
- 1 x Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 x cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 x small bunch fresh basil
- 12 x Kalamata olives
- 500 grams Casarecce pasta
- olive oil
- 1 x teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 x teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 200 grams x fresh ricotta
- Lightly cover base of saucepan with olive oil and add Spanish onion. Saute for one minute and add eggplant. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add fresh tomato sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to medium and allow to slowly simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, while sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to taste.
- Add olives and basil leaves and allow to cook for another 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Drain pasta and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Add sauce to pasta and crumble ricotta on top.