If you are looking for a simple but extremely flavoursome dish, definitely try our Biftekia sto Fourno (meatballs in the oven) recipe.
This delightful family meal is easy to prepare and the addition of grated tomato on top ensures the meatballs remain soft on the inside!
We included potatoes, zucchinis and sweet potato but you can add any vegetables of your choice.
- 500 x grams mince, of your choice
- 1 x egg
- 1 x teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 x tomatoes, grated
- 1 x onion, grated
- 5 x slices white bread (crusts off & a few days old)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/3 x cup olive oil
- 10 x potatoes
- 1 x large sweet potato
- 3 x zucchinis
- 2 x tomatoes
- 3/4 x cup olive oil
- 1/2 x cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 x tablespoon dried oregano
- Soak bread in water and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Add mince, soaked bread, egg, grated tomatoes, grated onion, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper into a large bowl and knead together until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Chop potatoes, sweet potato and zucchinis into rustic size pieces and spread evenly on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Also add 3/4 x cup olive oil and 1/2 x cup water.
- Begin making 12 x meat patties and place on top of the vegetables.
- Grate tomatoes on top of the meat patties and cover tightly with lid or baking paper and aluminium foil.
- Place in 200 degrees (preheated oven) and allow to bake for one hour. Take out of oven and turn meatballs around. Cook for another 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are golden brown and cooked through.