CHICKEN IN A HOMEMADE RED SAUCE
Kota kokkinisti- braised chicken in a fresh red sauce is a dish that is perfect when you are looking to create a quick and delicious meal.
You can use an entire chicken cut into pieces- otherwise chicken legs, breast or thighs also taste great.
This recipe can be served with rice, pasta, fried potatoes, mash potato or on it’s own- with slices of bread dipped into the yummy sauce!
- 1.5 x kilos chicken
- 5 x ripe tomatoes, blended into sauce
- 1 x Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 x tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 x cup white wine
- 3/4 x cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 x cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and sauté for one minute.
- Add chicken and sauté for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Add white wine, tomato paste, pureed tomatoes, salt and paper. Stir well and cook for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring frequently with wooden spoon.
- Place water in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover saucepan and reduce heat to medium. Allow to cook for 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce slightly thickens.