GREEK CUSTARD PIE WITH SYRUP
This custard pie with syrup (galatopita) is one of my favourite Greek desserts to make when having a get-together or to take to a friend’s place. It’s similar to galaktoboureko- but so much easier as there is no filo pastry- but I can guarantee you it tastes just as good.
This is a recipe I found on the internet about a year ago, however I made some variations and this is my version.
- 60 grams unsalted butter (and extra to grease dish)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- strawberries to decorate
For the syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan heat the milk with butter until it boils, stir frequently.
- Add sugar, beaten eggs, semolina and lemon juice and whisk continuously until the mixture thickens a bit- about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into greased baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- While custard is baking, boil water and sugar and lemon juice in small pot, simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes- syrup should slightly thicken.
- Take custard out of oven and pour syrup over the custard and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow custard to cool and place fresh strawberries on top.