HALVA CAKE WITH WALNUTS & DATES
Halva cake is a delicious and traditional Greek semolina sweet, which is perfect during Lent as there are no eggs or dairy in this dessert.
Most recipes include raisins or sultanas, however we use dates instead in our “no bake cake” version but it is completely up to you!
- 1 & 3/4 x cup olive oil
- 2 x cups coarse semolina
- 2 x cups fine semolina
- 1/2 x cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 x cup dates, chopped
- 3 x cups caster sugar
- 4 x cups water
- 1 x tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until it’s syrup like in texture.
- In another saucepan, pour in olive oil and allow to heat.
- Add semolina and stir with wooden spoon until it becomes golden in colour, this will take about 7 minutes or so.
- Pour syrup slowly in to the semolina mixture and stir, on medium heat.
- Add cinnamon, walnuts and dates and continue stirring until mixture thickens and comes away from the sides of the saucepan.
- Take off heat and pour into a bundt cake mould. Cover with cling wrap.
- Allow to set for about 30 minutes, then turn onto serving dish.