HANDMADE AMIGDALOTA- ALMOND COOKIES
Christmas is just around the corner and these Amigdalota (almond cookies) are the perfect edible handmade gift for your beloved family and friends.
The key to ensuring these small biscuits turn out soft and moist on the inside, is by not overcooking them. They will be light in texture after the 18 minutes of baking- but that is how they are meant to be.
Our recipe makes about 140 small pieces.
- 1 x kilo almond meal
- 2 x tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 x tablespoons honey
- 1 x tablespoon almond essence
- 1 x tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 x cup fine semolina
- 250 x grams icing sugar, extra for dusting
- 2 x egg whites, whisked
- 1 x egg yolk, whisked
- In a large bowl add almond meal and icing sugar, stir with wooden spoon.
- Pour in melted butter, honey, vanilla essence, almond essence and semolina. Stir well and slowly pour in whisked egg whites and yolk.
- Mix together until all ingredients are very well combined and mixture slightly thickens in texture.
- Begin making small round cookies by rolling them in your hands and place each one on a baking paper lined baking tray.
- Place in a 170 degrees (preheated oven) and bake for 18 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool and dust with icing sugar.