LEMON PEEL SPOON SWEET
Tis’ the season of lemons and when life gives you lots of lemons…you can make this lovely traditional Greek lemon peel spoon sweet!
Make sure you sterilise your jar (with a tight lid) very well and it can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- 6 x large lemons (with thick skin)
- 1 x kg sugar
- 1 x tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 4 x cups water
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- Using a grater, slightly trim lemons back and then wash them thoroughly.
- Place lemons in a large pan and cover completely with water.
- On high heat, bring water to a complete boil.
- Drain lemons and cool under cold water.
- Place lemons back to pan and repeat this process three times in total.
- Cut lemons into quarters and then cut each quarter again, so you have 8 pieces per lemon. Remove peel in strips.
- Roll each piece of lemon peel into a swirl and hold together using a tooth pick.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon stick and water into pan and boil for about 5 minutes. Add lemon peels and boil for another 15 minutes.
- Allow them to rest in pan overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Remove lemon peels from pan and set aside.
- Place pan back on high heat and bring to a boil. Add lemon pieces and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Allow to simmer until syrup becomes very thick.
- Allow to cool.
- Take toothpicks off lemon peels and place in a sterilised jar.