RICE PUDDING (YIAYIA’S RIZOGALO)
My nephews and little girl love their Yiayia’s (Grandma’s) Rizogalo. This comforting and creamy Greek treat is a great way to add more calcium into your little one’s diet- not to mention a nice dessert for us mummies too!
Here is my Mum’s recipe, which she makes with much love for her grandkids.
(Makes 8 small bowls)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 litres full cream milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- cinnamon to garnish
- Place milk, rice and sugar in saucepan and cook on high heat. Constantly stir ingredients with wooden spoon.
- Bring milk to boil and add vanilla sugar. Continue stirring for a few minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and allow to cook for 35 minutes (stir every 5 minutes).
- Add cornflour into 1/2 cup of water and stir until it dissolves.
- Slowly add dissolved cornflour into saucepan and stir for 2 minutes (if you see the mixture is too runny- add another tablespoon of cornflour, or if too thick- add a drop of milk).
- Place rice pudding into bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve warm, or cover with cling wrap and place in fridge for up to 5 days.