SPINACH & LEMON PITAKIA
If you are looking for an amazing vegetarian or vegan recipe, look no further! These delicious Spinach & Lemon Pitakia are ideal for brunch, lunch, as a meze or even as a side dish.
We have kept it simple, however you can also add chopped onions, olives, tomatoes and for those who aren’t vegan- you can also include some feta or goat cheese.
This recipe makes 8 small pitakia.
- 500 grams plain flour
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1.5 cups of lukewarm water
- Place flour, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and mix with wooden spoon.
- Make a well in the centre and place 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 cup of water and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Add remaining half a cup of water slowly and kneed mixture with your hands, until it becomes a smooth like dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, brush it slightly with olive oil and allow it to rise in a covered bowl for about 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash and finely chop spinach.
- Place spinach in a bowl and add lemon, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and pinch of salt.
- Place the dough on work bench, dusted with flour and knead the dough again for another 5 minutes.
- Cut in to 8 even pieces and flatten each one into a circle using a rolling pin.
- Fill each with spinach mixture. Fold the dough and tuck in the edges.
- Place on lightly oiled baking paper and brush each pita lightly with olive oil.
- Place in baking dish in 190 degrees celsius oven and allow to bake for 30 minutes or until a light golden brown.