TRADITIONAL SANTORINIAN FAVA
Fava is a delicious Santorinian vegetarian and vegan yellow split pea puree dish, which is so simple but tastes absolutely amazing!
With a few ingredients you can create this authentic recipe that can be served as a starter, mezze or side dish.
We like it with drops of lemon juice on top, while others also add capers or olives- it’s entirely up to you!
- 500 x grams yellow split peas
- 2 x onions, chopped
- 1/3 x litre olive oil, extra for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse split peas thoroughly with water.
- Add olive oil to saucepan and allow to heat.
- Place split peas in saucepan and pour in water.
- Allow it to come to a boil and remove any froth that forms at the top of saucepan.
- Add one chopped onion and pour in olive oil, salt and pepper. Allow to cook with lid on for about 45 minutes, or until split peas are thick in texture.
- Blend peas with a hand blender or place in food processor and mix until it becomes a smooth and creamy puree.
- Place in serving dish, garnish with remaining chopped onion and drizzle lightly with olive oil.