YIAYIA NIKI’S BAKLAVA
Baklava is a traditional and rich Greek dessert made with layers of fillo pastry, which are filled with chopped walnuts and then drenched in syrup.
Here is my Mum’s (Yiayia Niki’s) sweet and crispy recipe that she has been making for years and is loved by the entire family.
I can assure you, it tastes just as good as it looks!
- 750 grams fillo pastry
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 400 grams unsalted butter
- 1 x cup sugar
- 1 x teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 x teaspoon ground cloves
- cloves to garnish
- 2 & 1/2 x cups water
- 3 x cups sugar
- 2 x tablespoons honey
- 1 x tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- Melt butter and lightly grease your baking dish.
- Combine chopped walnuts, sugar, ground cinnamon and ground cloves in a bowl and mix all together.
- Layer one third of pastry packet, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Sprinkle half of your nut mixture over the fillo.
- Layer next third of the fillo, again brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture on top of second layer of fillo.
- Continue layering the remaining fillo, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Cut into diamond shapes, cutting all the way through to the base. Place clove on top of each piece.
- Pour remaining butter on top.
- Place in 180 degrees celsius pre-heated oven and bake for around 1 hour or until golden brown.
- In the meantime place all ingredients for syrup in a small saucepan and bring to boil- for around 10 minutes, or until it becomes slightly sticky.
- Allow baklava to cool and then pour syrup over baklava.