YIAYIA’S MAKARONOPITA- MACARONI & CHEESE PIE
Makaronopita is a traditional Greek Macaroni and Cheese pie, which is very well known and made in Central Greece (Sterea Ellada)- where my Mum is from.
This is Yiayia’s (my Mum’s) delicious recipe, which is by far the most requested dish by all the grandchildren in our family and has been passed down for so many generations!
I remember my cousins and I asking our Yiayia (Mum’s Mum) to make this amazing pie for us all the time- brings back so many beautiful childhood memories and it’s definitely best eaten when it comes straight out of the oven!
- 200 x grams all purpose flour (plus extra to roll out)
- 1/2 x tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 x tablespoons olive oil
- 80 ml x warm water
- 1/2 x teaspoon of salt
-300 x grams macaroni
- 8 x eggs, whisked
- 200 x grams ricotta, crumbled
- 400 x grams feta, crumbled
- 700 x ml full cream milk
- 1 x cup of olive oil (extra for drizzling)
- salt & pepper to taste
For pastry (Part 1):
- In a large bowl mix the flour with the salt, vinegar and olive oil and place warm water in the middle of the mixture.
- Knead the dough well and then divide into 3 equal parts.
- Leave for 1/2 hour covered in cling wrap to rest.
- In the meantime you can prepare the filling.
Preparing the filling:
-Boil pasta as per directions on packet.
- Drain pasta when ready and place in a large bowl with all ingredients.
- Mix the filling thoroughly and set aside.
For pastry (Part 2):
- Lightly sprinkle flour on the surface you will be using to roll out the dough (so the pastry won’t stick).
- Flatten the balls out one by one and begin rolling them out slowly using a large rolling pin- they should end up being about 60cm in diameter.
- Make sure you continue lightly sprinkling flour between each fillo you roll out- so they do not stick together.
Placing it all together:
- Lightly drizzle olive oil in your baking dish (Mum always uses a round one but square will also do) and place one of the fillo pastries in dish.
- Spread half of your macaroni and cheese filling you have prepared evenly over the surface.
- Add another layer of fillo pastry and spread other half of the remaining mixture.
- Add the final layer of pastry and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Fold the edges in and place in preheated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes at 200 degrees or till light golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes- then cut into diamond shapes and serve.