YIAYIA’S PUMPKIN PIE- KOLOKITHOPITA
With Halloween being celebrated this weekend and pumpkin being the flavour of the month, we thought it was perfect timing to share our family Kolokithopita (pumpkin pie) recipe with you.
This delicious pie consists of shredded pumpkin, mixed with sugar, pepper- then wrapped in homemade fillo pastry and baked to perfection!
If you are looking for some extra sweetness to this pita, you can drizzle your pieces with some honey and cinnamon sugar!
- 600 x grams all purpose flour
- 2 x tablespoons vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 3 x tablespoons olive oil, extra for drizzling
- 1.5 x cups lukewarm water
- 1.5 x kilos pumpkin
- 3 x cups sugar
- pinch of salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut pumpkin into small pieces and cut off thick skin. Disregard seeds from inside.
- Finely grate pumpkin and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt, vinegar and olive oil and place lukewarm water in the middle of mixture.
- Knead the dough well and then divide into 3 pieces.
- Leave to rest for about half an hour, covered in cling wrap.
- When ready, lightly sprinkle flour on the surface you will be using to roll out your pastry.
- Flatten out dough and one by one, begin rolling them out slowly using a large rolling pin. They should end up being about 60 cm in diameter.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper to grated pumpkin and mix with hands.
- Place two rows of pumpkin on each end of pastry (see diagram above) and cut pastry in half.
- Gently roll fillo into a rope, using entire pastry and fold in the ends so it’s all covered in.
- Place one strand in the centre of large baking dish, which has been lined with baking paper and lightly drizzled with olive oil. Turn it into a swirl like shape and then place next strand to continue a long swirl in baking dish.
- Repeat this process for all 6 fillo pieces and form one large round swirl in your baking dish.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and place in a pre-heated 200 degrees oven for about 45 minutes, or until Kolokithopita is golden brown.